Need to know: How do I appeal?

needtoknow2Here are some tips if you’re a policyholder who has reported a loss following the August severe storms and floods, but disagree with your insurance settlement.

· You may file an appeal if you’re an NFIP policyholder and you have received a written denial of your claim.
· Your appeal cannot add coverage or claim limits that exceed your NFIP policy.

Here are the five steps to file an appeal:
1. Speak with your adjuster. He or she may be able to help you understand your claim determination.

2. Ask the adjuster for a supervisor’s contact information and get in touch with that person if you remain unsatisfied.

3. Get in touch with your insurance company’s claim representative if your adjuster’s supervisor is unable to resolve your problem. Ask your insurance agent or company representative for assistance.

4. Send an appeal to FEMA if you’ve gone through the previous three steps and still are not pleased.
• The appeal letter to FEMA should contain your:
• NFIP policy number
• Name
• Address
• Contact information
• Details of your concern
• Dates of communication and contact details of insurance
representatives with whom you’ve spoken in the first three steps
• Explain why you’re appealing and include a copy of
your denial and policy information.

Other relevant documents may include:
• A copy of your Proof of Loss
• Room-by-room itemized repair or replacement estimates
• The adjuster’s final report
• Photographs of damage
• Elevation certificate

5. Mail your appeal letter and the documents within 60 days of your denial to:
Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration
Federal Insurance Administrator
1800 S. Bell St., Arlington, VA 20598-3010

Have Questions?
Call us at Integrity Insurance, (225) 686-1217.
We’ll be happy to help you, your family and your friends
through this process. You are not alone.

How to Contact FEMA: Call 800-621-3362 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and select Option 2. If you use TTY, call 800-462-7585. Those who use 711 or Video Relay Service can call 800-621-3362. Call center staff are available to assist you with information regarding your policy, offer technical flood guidance to aid in recovery and answer your questions.